The University of Wisconsin System is one of the largest systems of public higher education in the country and employs more than 40,000 faculty and staff statewide. The UW System’s combined enrollment headcount exceeds 165,000. With 13 universities across 26 campuses and a statewide extension network with offices in every county, the UW System is a tremendous academic, cultural, and economic resource for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world. The UW System is governed by a single Board of Regents comprised of 18 members. The UW System head is the President of the System.
The Service Operations team within UW-Shared Services exists to standardize processes, consolidate operations, and streamline administrative practices in order to provide high quality services while improving administrative efficiency and effectiveness. In addition to providing high quality services, Service Operations brings value to UW institutions by reducing administrative burden and cost, thereby allowing them to invest time and resources into activities which are more central to their mission.
This full time, salaried (exempt), Academic Staff position reports to a Shared Services Manager. The Business Process Specialist provides support for the Human Resources System (HRS), Shared Financial System (SFS) or other related systems and business processes at the University of Wisconsin System Service Operations. This position will support one of the following areas: Payroll, Benefits, Human Resources or Business Services. Our current vacancy is in the Human Resources area.
Hybrid work schedule may be available to Wisconsin residents.
Technology process support of the Human Resource System (HRS), the Shared Financial System (SFS) and related operations, focused on Payroll, Business Services, Benefits or Human Resources.
- Manage multiple processing activities including entering exception transactions, running processes, performing auditing and validations, and troubleshooting issues.
- Analyze and perform complex updates and corrections within HRS, SFS and related systems.
- Research and interpret regulations, statutes and develop policies and procedures for application within the system and related business processes. Assist with the implementation of these changes.
- Recommend and promote changes in the system and related business processes as needed to stay current and enhance operations. Work cross-functionally with other team members as needed.
- Participate in development of testing, training, and reporting requirements.
- Manage business programs and operations for cyclical operational events.
- Analyze and review the business requirements for cyclical operational processes and implement any needed changes to HRS, SFS and related business processes.
- Validate that previous migration changes are supportive of cyclical events which may not have feasibly been tested.
- Create, organize, review and update training materials and business process documentation.
- Understand processes related to the position’s specified area of expertise.
- Manage records associated with tasks and adhere to appropriate records retention policies.
Provide end user support for more complex business process and technology needs, focused on Payroll, Business Services, Benefits or Human Resources.
- Analyze and resolve incoming customer service tickets in accordance with Service Operations timelines and standards. Collaborate with other Service Operations teams as needed.
- Courteously interact with and assist customers in order to troubleshoot problems and obtain information from the end user.
- Research, evaluate and provide feedback on problematic issues, trends and patterns and make recommendations for system improvements and/or additional training/communication opportunities.
- Oversee and/or work with the appropriate Business Analyst on system related service requests to help define and develop the nature and scope of the request. Assist with the implementation of the request.
- Represent the organization as a positive and professional team member promoting respect and civility in the workplace.
- Maintain professional job skills.
- Attend and participate in organization and unit meetings.
- Perform other assignments as directed by supervisor.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Associates degree or minimum of 2 years professional work experience in Human Resources (e.g., employee lifecycle processing within a HRIS system, applicant tracking system payroll administration, benefits processing, etc.)
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and judgement skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to work effectively both in a team environment and independently to perform work assignments
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
Well qualified applicants will also have a substantial amount of experience in a combination of the following:
- Human Resources experience including recruitment, onboarding, classification, compensation and/or performance management, etc
- Experience using strong customer service skills to provide support to end users
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Query and/or SQL experience
- Experience working in a public sector or university setting
- Experience working with diverse populations
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is a full time, Academic Staff position. This is a fixed renewable position. The official title is Business Process Specialist.
The UW System is required to conduct a criminal background and sexual harassment check for final candidate(s) prior to employment.
Please note that successful applicants are responsible for ensuring their eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. a citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, a foreign national authorized to work in the United States without the need of employer sponsorship) on or before the effective date of appointment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Well-qualified candidates can expect a starting annual salary within a range of $50,000 – $62,000 commensurate with the candidate’s education, related experience, and qualifications. UW System employees receive an excellent benefit package. To learn more about the UWSA comprehensive benefit package, please reference our UWSA webpage. Please see this link for total compensation information: UW System Total Compensation Estimator to provide you with total compensation information.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application materials as soon as possible. Applicant screening will begin immediately and be ongoing through 11:55 p.m., Monday, August 15 , 2022. However, applications may be accepted until the position has been filled. Multiple positions may be filled with this recruitment.
- Follow the onscreen instructions; be sure to upload ALL THREE of the required documents: resume, cover letter, and references as PDF files. Failing to include any of these documents may disqualify your application. Uploading your documents as PDFs is also critical to maintain the formatting of your documents.
- Your cover letter MUST specifically address how your education and experience relate to the position and qualifications. Be sure to emphasize the areas outlined under “Minimum and Preferred Qualifications.”
- Your reference page should include the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references with at least one being from your current or previous supervisor.
- Include a statement of whether you wish to have your application held in confidence or made available to the public upon request. Please note that in the absence of any statement regarding confidentiality, we will assume you do not wish to have your application held in confidence. The UW System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
- Submit your application.
The University of Wisconsin System Administration is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, and person with disabilities.