This is a 3rd Shift Position
This position develops and maintains expert level skills in testing of power transformer. Performs low voltage tests like ratio, Doble, megger, HV dielectric testing like impulse, applied voltage, induce, loss measurement, sound test and SFRA.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform all required tests on transformers, control box, other components and subassemblies in accordance with established procedures and specific instructions
- Develop and maintain expert level skills in testing of controls and auxiliary devices including control box pre-test, fan motor and LTC wiring and functional test, LTC oil filter pre-test, CT wiring, relay tests, electronic and PLC based instrumentations like ETM and gas analyzers
- Handles non conformities per procedure including documenting and segregating
- Troubleshoots failure based on procedure and/or under guidance
- Performs basic preventive maintenance and 5S of work station, test equipment, test floor and offices
- Calculates test data to verify test parameters and evaluate test result calculations to determine acceptability of test
- Records and files test result calculations and analyzes final test reports
- Moving and setting up transformers, assemblies and auxiliary devices to and from test floor
- Clean and maintain test floor facilities
- Document non-conformance and support troubleshooting activities
- Create preliminary test reports
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Technical knowledge and experience to completely test power transformers and associated auxiliary apparatus
- Documentation and calculation involved with transformer testing
- Ability to calculate test results interpret to determine product acceptance or rejection
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel and PC based test equipment
- Physical work and calculations of test results performed in a timely, systematic, and error free manner
- Understanding of electricity and safety rules pertaining to electricity
- Demonstrate competency and participate in the continuous improvement process
- Work assignments involve specific instructions, established procedures, and adherence to industry standards
- Able to perform basic electrical engineering calculations and able to interpret results
- Knowledge of appropriate industry standards such as IEEE and IEC
- Work involves dealing with very high voltages
- Ability to communicate with peers, inspectors, manufacturing, planning, marketing and engineering departments.
- Job requires complete knowledge of operation of test apparatus and controls; instrumentation used in tests; test floor facility limitations, and safety rules
- Both oral and written communication skills are required for error free transmission of facts
- Strict attention to details relating in report writing
- Competency using electronic calculators and entering data in Electronic System
- Ability to work at heights (30 feet) with fall protection
Required Education / Experience
Associate's degree in Power, High Voltage, Electrical Engineering, Utilities Engineering, Electro-magnetic or an equivalent major, or 2 years' experience with Transformer Factory/Field Testing experience.
Preferred Education / Experience
Associate's degree in Power, High Voltage, Electrical Engineering, Utilities Engineering, Electro-magnetic or an equivalent major and knowledge or experience with transformers or high voltage equipment design, manufacturing, service or testing.
Number of Staff:
Key Working Relationships
- Plant Supervision, Quality, Planning, etc.
- Engineering Organization, including mechanical, electrical and manufacturing engineering groups
Must be able to stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to frequently walk and stand. Must occasionally be able to climb, balance, push, pull, carry and sit. Will minimally work below waist level.
Shop-floor located on large manufacturing plant.
Prolec-GE Waukesha, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by applicable law.