Aspen Aerogels is a rapidly growing aerogel technology company founded in 2001 to capitalize on patented advances in aerogel manufacturing. Aspen's extensive portfolio of proprietary aerogel products are manufactured at scale and sold worldwide in the Electric Vehicle, Energy Infrastructure, Sustainable Building Materials, and Power Generation industries. Aspen is a Tier 1/2 Automotive supplier of PyroThin thermal barriers, and our Pyrogel and Cryogel products are used by virtually all leading petrochemical and refining company across more than 50 countries. We're on a mission to build a world-class organization as we continue to grow our energy infrastructure business, and expand to meet demand for PyroThin thermal barriers in the rapidly growing Electric Vehicle sector over the next decade. We're looking for great passionate, dynamic talent to join our team.
The Engineering Technician will report to the Manager, Plant Engineering within the Plant Engineering group. The Engineering Technician will provide strategic, tactical and hands-on support with the primary objective of operationalizing new manufacturing methods and process/design changes to facilitate increased profit potential and cost reductions through work process, unit operations, operating condition or process technology improvements. The Engineering Technician will support cross functional projects.
Typical responsibilities will include assisting Engineering in developing, improving, and testing plant processes, products, and equipment; fabricating, installing, and modifying equipment to ensure that critical standards are met; and testing developmental equipment and formulating standard operating procedures. The successful candidate will interface with Engineering, Operations, and Maintenance. The individual must be a proactive team player with keen attention to detail and flexibility to adapt to a dynamic and challenging work environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply engineering principles and technical skills to assist Engineering in developing, improving, and testing plant processes, products, and equipment.
- Participate in fabricating, installing, and modifying equipment to ensure that critical standards are met.
- Test developmental equipment and formulate standard operating procedures.
- Test processing equipment and instruments to observe and record operating characteristics and performance of specified design or process.
- Observe chemical or physical plant processes and recommend modification or change.
- Observe and confer with equipment operators to ensure specified techniques are used.
- Write technical reports and submit findings to Engineering.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of plant processing equipment.
- Set up test apparatus.
- Instruct/Train technicians on engineering changes or process improvements. Create training documentation and one point lessons.
- Assist in developing and testing prototype processing systems.
- Assist in development of and play a leading role in operation of the pilot-plant system.
- Support plant trials to validate efficacy of process improvements.
- Adopt and follow Aspen's core values of Safety, Quality, Integrity, Teamwork, Customer and Innovation on both a personal and professional level.
- Minimum two (2) years' experience in manufacturing, pilot, or research and development engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related technical field.
- Track record of success maintaining, operating, and troubleshooting process equipment.
- History of working in a manufacturing or pilot operations environment.
- Ability and willingness to lead, manage and do work.
- Innate intellectual curiosity.
- Predisposed to leverage analytic reason, creativity, and judgment.
- Inspired and energized by being part of a high functioning team that works on complex, high-value opportunities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand
- Occasionally required to walk
- Frequently required to sit
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently works around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals
- Occasionally exposed to extreme heat or cold (non-weather)
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Aspen Aerogels is taking every measure to protect our employees and visitors during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Please note that Aspen requires U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you receive an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to employment.
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call (508) 466-3111 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For Our Rhode Island Applicants:
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The East Providence, RI facility of Aspen Aerogels is subject to Title 28, Chapter 29-6.2 of Rhode Island General Laws, which governs Worker's Compensation.