Tentative start date: July 6th, 2021
PURPOSE: To ensure guests, tenants and employees at Mall of America have a positive experience by providing unparalleled service related to emergency response, protection of life and property, loss prevention and guest relations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enforce MOA rules and policies, as well as state and local statutes.
- Deter criminal or destructive behavior by maintaining a highly visible patrol presence on MOA property; this includes regular patrols of mall common areas, service corridors and parking areas.
- Provide outstanding guest service at all times. This may include but is not limited to providing directions or assisting in the location of lost persons or vehicles.
- Respond and appropriately deal with life threatening emergencies or incident calls as directed. This may include but is not limited to medical emergencies, arresting combative or disorderly guests, intoxicated persons, addressing persons committing illegal acts, and motor vehicle accidents.
- Utilize quick decision-making skills and sound judgment acting in accordance with MOA Security policy and procedure as well as state and local statutes.
- Write detailed and accurate reports as required, including incident, accident or personal injury reports.
- May be assigned to the following areas: vehicle or foot patrol, special events conducting crowd control or VIP protection, or stationary posts monitoring access to restricted areas.
- Ensure proper radio traffic which includes keeping Dispatchers and Supervisors informed of all pertinent incidents and activities according to department guidelines.
- Requests Police, Fire or EMS services as necessary.
- Conduct periodic safety/fire inspections as assigned, issue parking violation tickets, conduct traffic direction, and ensure the overall safety of the immediate work area as well as surrounding areas.
- Uphold high personal and professional standards as set forth by the MOA Security Department.
- Perform various tenant relations activities, including but not limited to assisting in presenting information for tenants on loss prevention, assisting in disorderly incidents, participating in other safety awareness and loss prevention programs, distributing various correspondence and reports from Mall Management, establishing good working relationships with tenants and Mall Staff.
- Monitor safety awareness practices among Mall staff and tenants. Promptly identifies and reports any hazardous conditions according to procedure.
- May be required to work mandatory overtime and short notice special events as necessary.
- Regular, reliable and consistent attendance
- Additional duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Excellent customer relations skills.
- Successful completion of a rigorous 120 hour in-house training program. Combination of physical training and skills training.
- In addition to handcuffs, pepper spray and tactical baton, officers must carry a conducted electrical weapon (CEW). In order to carry the CEW, officers must receive a full five-second exposure, unless MOA approves a reasonable accommodation for this requirement (see Human Resources to make a request or to receive further information). If applicants have taken a five-second CEW exposure prior to employment at MOA, they may be eligible for an exemption.
- Successful completion of 8-12 week field training program.
- Ability to remain calm and effective in stressful situations, utilizing rational thinking and decision making.
- Ability to accept, prioritize and follow through on work direction.
- Ability to work variable and/or rotating shifts, which include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Be able to meet the physical demands of the position including: frequent and sustained walking, occasional running, bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, crawling and frequent and extensive use of hands and arms.
- Eligible to be licensed as a Security Officer in the State of Minnesota. This requires that you have no record of conviction for crimes against persons or property as revealed through a fingerprint check with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and/or the FBI.
- Maintain an adequate level of physical fitness to perform duties of position effectively (i.e. timely and effective response to emergency situations).
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Post secondary education
- Military experience
- Working knowledge of state and federal criminal justice statutes and law enforcement procedures
- Training in first aid, CPR, and related public safety skills.
- Three months of on-the-job experience related to law enforcement/security.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent and Sustained Walking-Frequently
- Running --Periodically
- Stooping /Squatting --Occasionally
- Frequent and extensive use of hands and arms-Frequently
- Lifting 50 lbs-Occasionally
- Reach at or above shoulders
- Reach at or below shoulders
- Climbing -- Frequently
- Sitting -- Occasionally
- Carrying up to 50 lbs -- Occasionally
- Wearing up to 20 lbs due to uniform/gear requirements -- Frequently
- Up to 30lbs -- Occasional
- Up to 200lbs - Occasional
- CPR requirements: Must be able to physically perform on all body types