TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to work independently.
- Communicates effectively and appropriately to patient, family and other health care providers.
- Completes required paperwork.
- Provides patient education about the PICC (or midline) insertion and the care and maintenance issues post insertion
- Participates in performance improvement activities by providing information about each PICC (or midline) insertion to the facility staff as requested
- Demonstrates ability to assess patient past and current medical history including laboratory values, venous and muscle skeletal status that is pertinent in qualifying a patient as a candidate for PICC placement.
- Assures physicians order on chart for PICC placement.
- Assures Informed Consent has been obtained.
- Performs time out; correct patient identifier prior to initiating PICC procedure.
- Demonstrates ability to perform PICC placement maintaining aseptic technique utilizing measures that prevent patient discomfort and trauma related to procedure.
- Demonstrates high level skills in critical thinking and assessment related to vascular access devices.
- Maintains clinical competency by inserting a minimum of six PICCs/year and by performing one observed successful PICC insertion
- Documents insertion of PICC (or midline), confirmation of placement by radiologist for PICC, and medication administration, in accordance with company policy
- Provides facility nurses/staff instructions about the patient's PICC (or midline) care and maintenance
- Assist Territory Managers in meetings for clinical support as needed
- Assist Director of Vascular Access in facility rounds to meet with and support Directors of Nursing, Administration and Nursing staff
- Is responsible for the fiscal viability of the PICC program by entering the charges for the insertion, proper usage of equipment, and productive use of time
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
Undergraduate Degree in Nursing
- Current RN (Registered Nursing) license
- PICC Certification
- Current BLS certification
- Must have good knowledge base for caring for central venous catheters.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 2 years of OR, IR, or PICC insertion experience.
Licenses & Certifications
Drivers License (required)
Basic Life Support (required)
Registered Nurse License (required)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)