Seeking self-directed, organized, and highly motivated individual with a passion for working with students with disabilities. This candidate works in conjunction with the school administration and MPS Adaptive Athletics to provide students ages 6-21 the opportunity to participate in Special Olympics sports training and competitions. The ideal candidate believes in the importance of the Special Olympics guiding principles of: mutual respect, positive attitude, accountability, teamwork and dedication.
- Collaborate with physical education teacher or Adaptive Athletics staff to teach students fundamental skills, teamwork, strategy and concepts of sports participation during the school day.
- Complete administrative tasks such as: managing student eligibility, skill assessment and maintaining records of participant performance, dispersing and collecting field trip waivers/permission forms, and submitting entry forms prior to pre-determined deadlines
- Coach and supervise your team during various Special Olympics weekend competitions
- Manage team uniforms and equipment
- Promote a safe and fun environment during practices and athletic competitions
- Recruit and secure volunteers to assist with team supervision and coaching
Reports to the School Principal and the Recreation Supervisor of Adaptive Athletics program..
- 18 years of age or older
- able to meet the scheduling needs for this position
- access to reliable transportation
- Previous participation in and sound knowledge of the activities is required
- Previous experience teaching or co-teaching sports or therapeutic recreation activities
- Course work in Therapeutic Recreation, Special Education or related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with student athletes and program staff
- Exhibit strong oral communication skills and written skills
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining composure and professionalism
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Must be willing to drive to the various southeast area competition sites
- Must be able to physically lead and demonstrate the skill and/or activity in an indoor or outdoor setting