At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
As a technical, hands-on Test Engineer, your job is to participate in the manual and automation testing of various web-based projects that integrate over various systems, including: cloud-based and on-prem proprietary applications, Microsoft Outlook, mobile applications, CRMs (Microsoft Dynamics), DocuSign, and complex API and service-based integrations.
You will be under the guidance of a Test Engineering Manager for a team with an already-established, mature testing process. Your role will be that of a "full-stack" Test Engineer - someone who has a strong appreciation and skill in manual / exploratory testing with the exceptional capability of writing automated and performance tests (time and training is allotted after hiring to learn our automation framework and language of choice - node.js).
Your general milestones for the first year are the following:
- Within two weeks, understand the tools and processes for capturing and pulling work from a backlog, and demonstrate the ability to document and execute new and existing test scenarios.
- Within one month, understand the basics of node.js and our automation framework (written in node.js) to the point in which you can contribute basic automation tests.
- Within two months, be able to discuss high-level functionality and infrastructure of applications an services that integrate with CRMs. You should understand all basic user flows and how the technology behind it works.
- To learn node.js to working proficiency within 2 months.
- Within three months, be able to build out entire features leveraging our current automation test infrastructure (written in node.js) with minimal assistance.
- Within six months, learn basics of Scala and how it's used in our performance testing framework (leveraging Gatling).
- Within twelve months, be able to effectively build performance tests leveraging gatling with minimal assistance.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Proven examples of building automation frameworks and scripts.
- Working proficiency of at least one programming language.
- Experience using Selenium.
- Can move quickly and independently. Everyone here is incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but you have to be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
Desirable skills for this role:
- Understanding of Node.js, NPM Scripting, Selenium and Webdriver.io to work on our end-to-end, API and performance testing framework.
- Understanding of Git version control including branch strategy. Familiarity with GitLab, GitLab CI, Docker and Jenkins for CI/CD is preferred but not required.
- Ability and confidence to peer-review code for quality, cleanliness, and general best practices.
- Understanding of client/server applications and microservice architecture, and the ability to test highly-complex integrated systems and data.
- Experience with using Fiddler or Wireshark, Postman, Browser DevTools, CLIs. Any similar experience is acceptable for manual testing and analysis needing to be performed in the role.
- Desire to work closely with an agile development team, but also collaborate regularly with other test engineers across projects to mature testing practices.
- Tons of room for career growth. You're on the ground floor and the team will be growing - leadership positions are there for the taking if you show the desire.
- Highly technical and passionate fellow test engineers. We care a lot about what we do and are very active in local meetups and love new ideas.
- Highly competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Onsite fitness center, credit union, health clinic
- Employee tuition reimbursement
- Career and leadership development programs
- Life and disability income insurance
- Cash balance pension and 401(k) match
- Competitive health insurance with flexible spending accounts
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 26427
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Desired
Employment Experience: 3-5 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 09/13/2019