Initial applications will be reviewed beginning September 20th.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Student Success, provides a strategic vision in support of a comprehensive and integrated student engagement program to enhance student success, retention, sense of belonging and persistence to graduation. Provides leadership and accountability for the administration, development, assessment, and improvement of student services and student experiences that meet and support MATC's commitment to access and inclusion.
Lead the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of comprehensive data-driven, research-based plans designed to attract and support MATC students through completion. Applies data-informed decision making (DIDM) and continuous quality improvement (CQI) in planning and implementing strategies to achieve division and department goals. Serves as a change agent for diversity, equity, inclusion, and multiculturalism as well as innovation, collaboration, legal compliance, and data analysis. Coordinates and works collaboratively to provide college-wide support to student success programs to include advising, graduate transfer, student academic support services, student experience, student concerns/complaints, judicial affairs and Title IX, student clubs, and athletics.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, coordinate and support retention and success strategic initiatives for MATC. This includes, but is not limited to, directly supporting students with warning grades, students unregistered for the upcoming semester, students with outstanding incomplete, students missing class, and students identified as at risk via predictive retention software.
- Provide leadership and guidance in implementing innovative, student-centered approaches to student success in curricular and co-curricular experiences, e.g. multicultural activities, student activities and events, student clubs and organizations, first-year transition programming, student conduct, counseling, and retention-focused activities.
- Maintain, improve and supervise the student engagement process by creating a proactive, engaged and continuously improved student experience with the goal of consistent student retention.
- Responsible for ensuring culture of student experience and student-centered success.
- Proactively identify and support students at risk and assist with the procedural/operational coordination of the support services.
- Utilize metrics to track retention activities; evaluate efficiency and efficacy of services to ensure MATC is addressing the needs of students.
- Provide timely analysis and information for data driven decision making and enrollment management processes.
- Performs other related duties as required for the efficient operations of the division.
- Collaborate with campus stakeholders to identify and monitor at-risk students, and implement interventions that directly support student retention and success.
- Work with agencies and personnel at the State and Federal levels to ensure institutional compliance.
- Using WE CARE Service Excellence Standards, responsible for ensuring culture of student experience and student-centered success including, but not limited to, systems, processes and procedures as well as building effective cross-functional teams.
- Advance and enhance activities increasing first-year and second-year student retention.
Diversity, Inclusion, Equity
- Ensure institutional policies and practices assure fair and equitable student treatment.
- Work to ensure that mid-range and high performing students are maximizing their potential and goals.
- Lead a strategic approach that develops and supports college-wide initiatives aimed at positively impacting enrollment, retention, and matriculation of students.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and best practices reflecting current trends in interventions and support for students in distress.
- Practices honesty by demonstrating a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles, values, truthfulness and accuracy in all actions.
- Acts and speaks consistent with, and in support of, MATC's Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Addresses all student and employee behavior in a confidential and respectful manner.
- Master's degree, preferably in education, student services, higher education administration or a related field.
- Eight (8) years of demonstrated experience in higher education with increasing levels of responsibility, including demonstrated experience at a supervisory level.
- Record of increasing student success initiatives to include planning, implementing, and assessing outcomes for student engagement and retention.
- Experience collecting and utilizing data to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience working well with and nurturing diverse groups of people, including professional staff, students, faculty, parents, system-wide colleagues, community partners, stakeholders, and teams to achieve consensus, solutions, and successful conflict resolution.
- Experience providing responsive assistance to college students in crisis situations and proven ability to create and maintain a culture responsive to student concerns.
- Experience with an understanding of Pathway processes.
- Ten (10) years of relevant experience.
- Successful history supervising and mentoring staff, enhancing student life on a commuter campus, and working effectively across the campus community.
- Possess experience and knowledge of current trends in student affairs management and implementation of best practices.
- Must be certifiable by the Wisconsin Technical College System.
- Manages complexity
- Balances stakeholders
- Strategic mindset
- Plans and aligns
- Ensures accountability
- Drives results
- Builds effective teams
- Drives vision and purpose
- Instills trust
- Customer focus
- Action oriented
- Values differences
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of quality management concept, processes, and techniques.
- Knowledge of collective bargaining and contract administration.
- Knowledge of the identification, admission, recruitment and enrollment of prospective students, comprehensive and strategic enrollment planning, and shaping classes to meet MATC's mission.
- Knowledge of institutional research theory and practices.
- Knowledge of data driven decision making and utilizing tools and processes for continuous quality improvement.
- Knowledge and understanding of vocational, technical and adult education, and the Wisconsin Technical College System.
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial management practices.
- Knowledge of CQI and the process.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a multi-campus/learning college.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with regional community, governmental, educational, and business and industry leaders.
- Ability to lead innovative, high-quality and student-centered approaches to student success.
- Ability to engage current students, faculty, alumni, and parents in the recruitment and enrollment of all new students.
- Ability to communicate effectively through both oral and written means.
- Ability to establish, collaborate and maintain effective work relationships with peers, students, teachers, staff, representatives of outside agencies, educational institutions, and the general public.
- Ability to convey an image of professionalism and dedication in work related activities.
- Ability to be innovative and creative with respect to teaching and learning.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse student and employee populations.
- Ability to successfully collaborate within team and throughout organization to bring together desired results. Highly effective facilitation skills within small or large group settings.
- Ability to organize, analyze and interpret statistical and management data. Demonstrated ability to gather information, identify patterns or connections between situations.
- Ability to increase first-year and second-year student retention.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, establish work flows and meet necessary deadlines.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team building skills to effectively supervise professional and staff and interact with all levels of management.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and software specific to position, including spreadsheets and the Internet.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs., carry, and push up to 20 lbs. and ability pull up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs and a ladder and maintain balance.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, hear and speak.
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: 50% of time spent sitting, 25% of time standing, and 25% of time walking.
Supervises a large-sized staff of managerial, supervisory, and professional personnel. Provides recommendations on hiring new employees; on coaching and counseling; on training; and on granting time off.