The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects. The Intern, Media Relations is a paid internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. The opportunity is based in Washington, DC.
* Undergraduate Junior and above student pursuing a degree in marketing, communications, or journalism.
* Must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship.
* Must have excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
* Must be comfortable with the Microsoft Office Suite products.
* Must have understanding of the news cycle and good news judgement.
* Ability to think fast and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
* The Intern, Media Relations will work with national members of the media (reporters, producers, etc.) and work with media databases to monitor and analyze coverage of the Red Cross. Previous experience working with the media and/or media databases a plus.
Responsibilities also include:
* Creating media briefing documents, presentations, reports, stories, blog posts and other communication materials.
* Answering the national media line to screen, vet and relay journalists' requests to the media relations team.
* Researching media outlets and reporters, building media lists and assisting with pitch efforts to journalists/producers.
* Working in media analytics systems to analyze media coverage and produce media reports.
* Keeping media relations owned webpages on redcross.org up to date with fresh content.
Candidates will be considered for fall 2019 (August/September - December). The position will work 16-24 hours/week.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.