Responsible for researching and designing the processes and systems used to create nuclear energy and radiation. Develops instruments, monitors and designs nuclear power plants, and works on nuclear fuel cycle.
- Develop the processes, instruments, and systems used in nuclear energy.
- Design and develop nuclear plants that generate power.
- Monitor plants for malfunctions.
- Work on the production, handling, and use of nuclear fuel.
- Oversee the safe disposal of waste produced by nuclear energy.
- Develop nuclear power sources for naval vessels or spacecraft.
- Research industrial and medical uses for radioactive materials.
- Research radioactive atoms in nuclear reactions.
- Design and develop reactors.
- Design equipment that uses radioactive materials to solve a variety of problems in agriculture, medicine, science, and industry.
- Supervise construction projects.
- Supervise the loading of fuel onto a nuclear reactor.
- Maintain safe radiation levels.
- Oversee technicians who use radiation technology to manufacture products.
- Research new uses for nuclear energy in the industrial or medical field.
- Develop new concepts of thermonuclear analysis and new uses of radioactive processes.
- Develop reactor cores, radiation shielding, and related instruments.
- Prepare technical reports.
- Conduct research to modify known nuclear theories concerning release, control, and utilization of nuclear energy.