Are you worried about your career? Would you like to stop?
The reason many of us worry is that we have a situation in front of us and we are scared that it will not work out. We are afraid that we will make the wrong decision (again), fail, or look bad in front of others. Uncertainty in our career has us so worried about paying the bills, losing our home, going to war, etc. that we cannot seem to focus on anything else. Unfortunately, this fear has kept you from seeing a way out.
If you could only trust that it will work out and that your career will improve again, then you could put your worrying behind you and focus on the positive instead.
So How Do You Declare War With Worrying?
1. Acknowledge That You Are Worried Sometimes, we will tell ourselves all sorts of crazy things so we don't have to admit that we are worried. This only works against you. How can you expect to get past your worry if you can't even admit that you are feeling it?
2. Take A Deep Breathe It's amazing how much better we feel when we start breathing again. Worry tenses up our bodies until we are in a state of panic. Take a few deep breathes and release worry into the air.
3. Let Go Of The Outcome If things work out in the end anyway (and they usually do) then what you are doing to yourself in the process is a waste of your energy. (Unless you enjoy giving yourself a hard time.) This is key. You get past worry by letting the universe do what it has planned. Go with the flow. You will be much stronger in the process.
4. Stop Obsessing. Think about something else besides "What Am I Going To Do About My Career?" I am not suggesting that you forget what is going on in the world. But, to recognize whether obsessing about your career is moving you forward or getting in your way.
5. Forgive Yourself Sure you can blame yourself for why your career is not working, but is this the best use of your time? You did the best you could do with the information you had at the time. Forgive yourself. Forgiveness is your pathway to resolution.
6. Reach Out To Others. If you are going to worry, do not worry by yourself. It is nice to have a shoulder to lean on. Plus, you can get perspective much quicker this way.
7. Take Action. Do one thing everyday no matter what. Doing so will bring the power and control back into your career. It may not be easy to take the next step when you do not know what that next step is, but life is not about knowing answer first. Small steps take you to the next step, which takes you closer to your goal.
So, what do you say? You only have one life to live, so it might as well be a life you love!